The Golden Gate International Choral Festival
The 2021 Golden Gate International Children's and Youth Choral Festival will be an unforgettable week of concerts, competitions, special events, and cultural exchange. From July 11-17, 2021, participating choirs will sing, learn, and live with their peers from far and wide, rendering the faceless into friends.
One of America’s most celebrated gatherings of young singers, the Golden Gate International Children’s and Youth Choral Festival attracts choirs from all over the world to perform, compete, and build international friendship. Founded in 1991, the Golden Gate Festival is sponsored every three years by the Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir in the San Francisco Bay Area. It remains the only opportunity for children’s and youth choirs to meet and compete on an international field in the United States. Since its founding, the event has brought more than 3,000 young musicians from 19 countries together in friendship and harmony, performing for more than 50,000 audience members from throughout Northern California.
The Festival places special emphasis on building community among singers. Daily rehearsals of the massed choirs, special events - including a boat cruise of San Francisco Bay, and a dance following the final concert - provide opportunities for singers and adults to make friends and meet colleagues in a supportive environment.
A hallmark of the Golden Gate Festival is the hospitality offered by the local community in the form of homestays for visiting international singers. We believe that sharing our homes with children from faraway cultures enriches our lives and theirs; it is an expression of goodwill that underlies the spirit of the festival.
“If we bring children together from distinctly different cultures, we can help them connect as real people to real people. We can sidestep social conditioning and create bridges of understanding that make it difficult to harbor ill will. These children have a genuine experience, beyond soundbites and newflashes; they have joy.” Robert Geary, Artistic Director
In a world filled with borders, the Golden Gate Festival offers a rare opportunity for children to build bridges.
Applications must include the following materials:
1. A completed Festival Application Form. Please fill out the Google Form version unless you are unable to use Google in your country. If that is the case, please fill out the PDF version and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. A .mp3 file, or a YouTube performance, or a website link to a performance recording, or a good quality, recent (within the past three years) CD recording (labeled with the name of the choir and conductor, and date of recording) of the choir, of not more than 15 minutes duration. At least one piece must be unaccompanied. APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT A RECORDING. (Please note, CD’s cannot be returned).
3. Brief biographies of the choir and the conductor (200 words each). If you fill out the Google Form, you will be prompted to include the biographies. If you use the PDF form, you will need to send the biographies by email to email@example.com.
4. A photo of the choir. Please name the photo file with the full name of the choir and country.
5. A photo of the conductor. Please name the photo file with the full name of the conductor, the name of the choir and country.
Submit application materials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Choirs will not be considered until all application materials are available to the review committee.